Friday, February 12, 2016

Crockpot Cooking

Since we did the Daniel Fast at the beginning of the year, I've been trying to cook at home more.  But with me going to water aerobics on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and not getting home until around 8:00 p.m., who wants to cook that late?  So I've been using the crockpot on those nights so that when I get home, supper is already ready. 

Growing up, the only thing my mom used a crockpot for was a meal we called "crockpot".  "Crockpot" for us was stew meat, carrots, potatoes, onions and celery.  I thought that's all you used a crockpot for!  I lived such a sheltered life!  HAHA!!

Obviously now I know that you can cook practically anything in a crockpot.  The other day I was online looking for some new recipes to use in the crockpot.  I came across one for sausage, green beans and potatoes.   You can find the original recipe at Recipes that Crock.  

For mine, I used:

2 packages of turkey sausage
1 large onion
3 cans of green beans
3 cans of whole peeled potatoes (cause they are delicious, and it's alot easier to open up the cans with an electric can opener versus manually peeling potatoes!)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

I put the green beans and onion in the bottom and seasoned them well with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  I put them in first so they can cook all day in the seasoned juices.  Added the potatoes and then the sausage.  Next time I think I'm going to used canned diced potatoes, and will cut the sausage up into smaller pieces.  I set it on low for about 8 hours.  

I'm telling you what, this meal was delicious and made alot of food, which was good cause I took it for lunch two days this week too!

And if I remember correctly, I got 12 cups of food out of this and they came to around 199 calories a cup!  


No comments:

Post a Comment